This post is for anyone looking for some clarity around the maximum character counts (or keystrokes, because they include punctuation and spaces) for LinkedIn.
- Company Name: 100 maximum characters.
- Professional Headline: 120 character limit.
- Summary: 2,000 character limit.
- Specialties: 500 maximum characters.
- Website Anchor Text: 30 maximum characters.
- Website URL: 256 maximum characters.
- Position Title: 100 characters.
- Position Description: 200 minimum and 2000 maximum characters.
- Interests: 1,000 Characters
- Phone number: 25 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections if populated).
- [link removed] (Instant message): 25 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections if populated).
- Address: 1000 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections, if populated).
- Skills: You may add up to 50 skills using 61 characters per skill. (I recommend starting with only 10-12 to get your most important skills at the top. Wait until you get 20+ endorsements for at least and then you can always add more. Also, LinkedIn is undoubtably using these “votes” in an algorithm that effects how you show up in search results.)
- LinkedIn Status Update: You can use up to 700 characters unless you want to update your Twitter status at the same time. Twitter updates are limited to 140 characters. If you go over the 140-character limit, only the first 140 characters will be visible on Twitter.
- The limits for status updates and company updates are now 200 characters.
- 50 Groups max. (But sometimes I appear to have 51…don’t ask.)
- Writing a reply comment to a group post: Limit appears to be 666 characters.
Please be sure to sign up for more LinkedIn tips and shares like this via my free newsletter here.
I’m excited to share a short promo video I (finally) had created for my book, “I’m at a Networking Event–Now What???: A Guide to Making the Most Out of Any Networking Event.”
I hope you will check it out and let me know what you think. Better late than never, right?!
If you haven’t already, please be sure to sign up for my Making Connections Matter tips, free webinar invites and more here. And you can view the video on my author page on Amazon too!