Company pages on LinkedIn aren’t just for companies like Cisco, Chase or Facebook. And if you haven’t added a company page for your business on LinkedIn you’re missing out.
When you have a Company Page set up on LinkedIn you can not only share news about and promote your business, you can create a way for those not quite ready to buy your product or service to stay informed without having to commit in any way whatsoever. Followers of your page don’t need to provide their email or “connect” formally. (And, yes, I know many of us want email addresses, but smart people know better than to fall for most email collection tactics).
There are 3 basic steps to get started:
- Create a company profile. Tell your company’s story and give customers, prospects, and job seekers a place to learn about your business, your employees, and your brand.
- Add a Products & Services tab. Catch the eye of prospective customers by featuring products, services, or anything else that would be relevant to your target audience.
- Spotlight customer recommendations. Invite customers to recommend your products or services. Recommendations provide an authentic endorsement, making it easy for prospective customers to feel confident about doing business with you.
Here’s video that covers the basics. Once your page is up you can start developing a “follower” community and begin building valuable relationships that just might translate into new clients if you keep your company page fresh and manage it effectively.
Keeping your page fresh can easily be done by making frequent Status Updates, so here’s a brief video that shows how to utilize Status Updates on your Company Page to share info and increase your visibility with members of your Follower network.
Click here to check out my Company Page for an example and please let me know if you have any questions
or want to take advantage of my Dec ’13 promotion to save $50 on a 2 hr personalized LinkedIn learning session with yours truly. We can focus on your profile, Company Page or even Groups, whatever you’d like.
Here’s the link to secure
the special pricing a personalized Mastering LinkedIn session today!
Wordle is a cool tool for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text you type in or cut and paste into it (your LinkedIn recommendations, for example).
You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share on your website, LinkedIn profile, speaker sites, etc.
I decided to do one on my Speaker recommendations on LinkedIn and one my LinkedIn training recos. Check ‘em out (click to view larger):
Headshot Days May 2013: San Francisco
With social networking sites like LinkedIn being such an important part of how we connect with one another, having a professional headshot is simply no longer optional. Your headshot is your online “first impression” and tells the world that you mean business.
Our photographer’s fees for a professional studio sitting begin at $450, but not during Headshot Days! Reserve your spot today and pay the deeply discounted rate of just $195.
To claim your space, visit the registration page, read through all the pricing and cancellation clauses (also below), then select your preferred time slot. Please note that prepayment is required to lock in your slot. You will then be directed to the Headshot Days Payment page to complete your order. That’s it! You’ll get a confirmation and further instructions as the event draws near.
We hope you can take part in this very special event and get a professional headshot for all your social networking, professional branding and horn-tooting needs. Here’s everything you need to know to sign up today:
DATES & AVAILABILITY
- Friday, May 10, 2013: 10:30am to 6pm, last appt at 5:30pm
Saturday, May 11, 2013: 10am to 1:30pm, last appt at 1:00pm
You can see the remaining time slots on our Sign-up Genius page – lock yours in today! And then pay for your session via our PayPal cart here. (Reminder: Your slot will not be secured until payment is received.)
FEES We’re excited to be able to offer you a professional headshot session which includes one retouched 8×10 JPEG at 300ppi delivered via e-mail for just $195 (regularly $450 and up.) This includes minor retouching such as softening under the eyes, smoothing wrinkle lines, eliminating lens glare and hiding minor stray hairs.
- Wardrobe change – $50. Pre-purchase required. Does not apply to a change of jacket or tie but is intended for those clients who want to have an entirely new look (for example, corporate attire or casual wear.)
- Additional images – $35 each including minor retouching. It may be hard to choose just one! You can select this option before or after your session.
- Make-Up – see below
- Deluxe retouching is available at flat rate of $40 for up to 3 images.
MAKE-UP Professional make-up application is highly recommended for both men and women who want a first-rate photo. As beautiful as you naturally are, professional make-up helps conceal any blemishes, minimize dark circles under eyes, eliminate five o’clock shadow, catch flyaway strands of hair, and prep your face for the lighting required in a professional shoot. Many of the headshots you see featured on Nathan’s site have had professional make-up, and some of the women are wearing false eyelashes to give their eyes depth and “pop.” If you select this option, you will need to arrive 45 minutes prior to your session time so block your calendar accordingly.
- Women $80*
- Men $60
- Eyelashes $15 and they’re yours to keep!
Advance purchase is required to ensure we have enough time, talent and product on hand. If you’re waffling, consider this: if I had to choose between a night out on the town and having my make-up done for this shoot, I’d gladly stay in all weekend to get the best shot possible.
TIPS FROM OUR PHOTOGRAPHER We are thrilled to have Nathan Phillips participating in this event! He’s a talented local photographer and has photographed Gavin (yes, that one!), Michael Phelps, Dana Carvey, MC Hammer, Vida Blue, the CEO of NetApp and everyday legends-in-the-making just like you. He knows a thing or two about getting the best shot, so please take note of his tips:
- Dress as you want to be perceived. If you have a casual look or want to look creative, dress accordingly. If you are gunning for the corner office, wear corporate attire.
- Stay away from plaids, prints, and checks; solids work best. Regardless of physique, most people look better with garments that cover upper arms.
- Ladies, if you are not purchasing the professional make-up upgrade, apply your own as if you are going out for an evening function. Consider false eyelashes to bring your eyes forward. Don’t laugh – all the models featured on most photographer’s websites have them!
- Gentlemen, off-white or light blue shirts work a bit better with a jacket and tie, if you’re going for the corporate look.
- RELAX! This is going to be fun.
We can’t wait to see your new headshot online soon.
Sometimes even the most seasoned networkers (like me!) need to psych themselves up before heading out to a networking event or 2 day conference full of strangers. Here are some of my favorite quotes to help inspire and motivate us all:
1) To be successful, you have to be able to relate to people; they have to be satisfied with your personality to be able to do business with you and to build a relationship with mutual trust. – George Ross
2) You take people as far as they will go, not as far as you would like them to go. – Jeanette Rankin
3) The mark of a good conversationalist is not that you can talk a lot. The mark is that you can get others to talk a lot. Thus, good schmoozer’s are good listeners, not good talkers. – Guy Kawasaki
4) Pulling a good network together takes effort, sincerity and time. – Alan Collins, author of “Unwritten HR Rules”
5) ….relationships take time, getting to know folks requires patience, and people are generally cautious – if not fearful – of Johnny come lately that is asking, rather than giving. – Jeremiah Owyang, Sr. Analyst at Forrester
6) Giving connects two people, the giver and the receiver, and this connection gives birth to a new sense of belonging. – Deepak Chopra
7) Nothing liberates your greatness like the desire to help, the desire to serve. – Marianne Williamson
8) You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you. – Dale Carnegie
9) Networking is marketing. Marketing yourself, marketing your uniqueness, marketing what you stand for. – Christine Comaford-Lynch
10) The currency of real networking is not greed but generosity. – Keith Ferrazzi
Bonus quote (and one I always share in my effective networking presentations): “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
Which of these are your favorite? Do you have a favorite quote about networking that I’ve missed?
P.S. If you like this type of thing, you’ll love my book – I’m at a Networking Event–Now What???: A Guide to Getting the Most Out of Any Networking Event. Just sayin’…
Need help developing an opportunity-generating, online and/or offline networking strategy for your business or career? Check out my Work With Me page while you’re here.
Does your brand need some love? Are you hoping to have a strategic plan for your biz in 2013?
My friend, affiliate partner, and frequent collaborator, Maria Ross of Red Slice, has introduced an exciting follow-up to her popular book, Branding Basics for Small Business. Just this week she rolled out a new Indie Brand Bootcamp program you can follow at your own pace and on your own time table!
I can just hear some of you saying, “Now that’s exactly what I need! I don’t have time for an in-person class or a weekly conference call, but I know I need to give my brand a boost.”
Well, Maria’s program will give you the focus, clarity and confidence you want (and need!) to make the right brand moves and boost your results. Plus, you can do it from the comfort of your own office. Or coffee shop. Or sandy beach (as long as you can tap into some WiFi). And at your own lightning fast or blissfully calm pace. It’s even been featured on Forbes!
I’ve worked on a few projects with her and she REALLY knows her stuff. I highly recommend! Click the image below or HERE to view more details and meet Maria.Read More