So happy to see that LinkedIn has finally incorporated one of the best features of Facebook!
Being able to tag your post (they’re calling them “mentions”) with a colleague, client or connection’s name is a great way to increase your (and their) social capital within your network and beyond. Basically, instead of posting things and hoping people in your network see it, they have made it even easier for you to start an actual conversations and share knowledge with one another.
Here’s the link to their blog post announcing the new feature and here’s how it works:
- Begin by typing the name of a connection or a company in your status update box or a comment field on the Homepage.
- Select someone from the list of your connections that appear in the drop-down, complete your status or comment and post it.
- The person or company you mentioned will receive a notification alerting them that they have been mentioned.
I also thought I’d share a few of the ways I plan on using it to pay it forward:
- Give a shout out to a business partner that just got a mention in a Inc.com article
- Congratulate a former colleague on launching her Iphone app
- Write a brief thank you update to a vendor company that just supplied you with great service
- Share that great blog post from a new colleague or biz partner
- Mention and share your CEOs appearance in a SXSW video
What other ways will you use this new feature from LinkedIn?