Sometimes even the most seasoned networkers (like me!) need to psych themselves up before heading out to a networking event or 2-day conference full of strangers. Here are some of my favorite quotes to help inspire and motivate us all:
1) To be successful, you have to be able to relate to people; they have to be satisfied with your personality to be able to do business with you and to build a relationship with mutual trust. – George Ross
2) A networking event is a farmer event, not a hunter event. You’re there to plant seeds and cultivate your garden, not bag prey. – Sandy Jones-Kaminski, author of I’m at a Networking Event–Now What???
3) The mark of a good conversationalist is not that you can talk a lot. The mark is that you can get others to talk a lot. Thus, good schmoozer’s are good listeners, not good talkers. – Guy Kawasaki
4) Pulling a good network together takes effort, sincerity and time. – Alan Collins, author of “Unwritten HR Rules”
5) ….relationships take time, getting to know folks requires patience, and people are generally cautious – if not fearful – of Johnny come lately that is asking, rather than giving. – Jeremiah Owyang, Sr. Analyst at Forrester
6) Giving connects two people, the giver and the receiver, and this connection gives birth to a new sense of belonging. – Deepak Chopra
7) Nothing liberates your greatness like the desire to help, the desire to serve. – Marianne Williamson
8) You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you. – Dale Carnegie
9) Networking is marketing. Marketing yourself, marketing your uniqueness, marketing what you stand for. – Christine Comaford-Lynch
10) The currency of real networking is not greed but generosity. – Keith Ferrazzi
Bonus quotes (which I always share in my effective networking presentations): “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
Like video? View these quotes here.
Do you have a favorite quote about networking that I’ve missed? Share it with me via Twitter and I just might include it in a future post!
Need help developing an opportunity-generating, LinkedIn, social selling or networking strategy for your business or consulting practice? Check out my Work With Me page while you’re here!
P.S. If you like this type of thing, you’ll love my book – I’m at a Networking Event–Now What???: A Guide to Getting the Most Out of Any Networking Event. Just sayin’…